Saturday, January 17, 2004

A Large Invader

My house has been invaded by an enormous 50" LCD television. It is, to put it simply, stunning. We got home, I showed Liz the basics, and we plugged in Support Your Local Sherriff, followed by Terminator 2. Support was a western farce with James Garner from the late 60s, one of Liz's movie choices and not at all bad. Quite entertaining. You can see the roots of the '94 version of Maverick clearly. T2 was T2, I think I've seen it close to fifty times. I thought it was appropriate, since it was one of those movies that just made me fall in love with, well, movies. I set the system up with Jurassic Park, also one of my long-time favorites.

Needless to say, I'm very very very happy with this TV. I've got a Christmas present from my mother that I'm going to watch, and a lot of other movies too. And some TV shows.

On a more personal level, I can actually say that I'm somewhat keeping my New Year's resolutions. My first was to try to cut out candy, which aside from a couple pieces of red licorice this last week, I've managed to do without a problem. It helps that chocolate really fucks with my acid reflux - that's a nice incentive. The other is portion control, which is a little harder to manage. I've done pretty well, but I have spells where I feel like gorging myself, and when I try to drink water, which normally helps, I just end up having to pee a lot and I'm hungry ten minutes later.

My other New Year's resolution, which I haven't kept at all, is to try to take advantage of more of the indie cinema offerings and culture here. I have less and less desire to go see Hollywood blockbusters, especially since I can now pretty much watch them in better quality in the comfort of my own home. But, I think it's a shame that there are so many good independent movie houses here and I've pretty much been ignoring them. My plan is to get The Stranger every week and start keeping up on what's coming to town. Maybe a good website would help, too.

I've got some stuff to rent, stuff I've missed or haven't seen. I want to grab Below, written by Darren Arranofsky (Pi), and a horor flick called May, which is supposed to be creepy as hell. Both American Splendor and Lost in Translation come out on video next month, so I don't feel a burning desire to pay money to see them in a movie theater, but I will go watch Big Fish, which I keep hearing great things about.

No comments: