Thursday, January 08, 2004

Halloween in January

The second John Carpenter movie I've watched in the last month, Halloween is a goddamn great piece of horror flick. Very little gore - we're talking a few red streaks on a knife and a little blood on Jamie Lee Curtis - and a hell of a lot of suspense. Everything hinges on the brooding, building terror from the killer, who is like a relentless force of nature that the viewer can see but the characters can't. It's the ultimate dead-babysitter movie I think. I got the 25th Anniversary DVD for Christmas, and it looked great. I'll confess, I had to stop the movie twice. I really need to get Liz to watch more of these flicks with me. I'd like to scrounge a copy of Assault on Precinct 13, as it's supposed to be a great suspense / action flick, and I'm beginning to trust that Carpenter really knew his shit back in the 70s.

Next time I order from Deep Discount DVD, I'm going to have to score Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original), Assault, and Once Upon a Time in the West, which was voted Best DVD of 2003. Or, I could pick them up from Best Buy when I venture out to get Cabin Fever in a couple of weeks...

No comments: