Friday, January 30, 2004

Incoming Cinema!

Apple.com posted a batch of new movie trailers yesterday, including this one for a German flick called Good Bye, Lenin! The premise seems to be that a kid's mom has a heart attack before the fall of the Berlin wall and is in a coma until the present day, when she wakes up. The doctor warns that she shouldn't have any more shocks to her system, so the kid preforms many elaborate and humorous schemes to deceive her into thinking that Communism is still alive and well. It received six major awards in Europe, and although it's in German with subtitles, looks really great. Hopefully it will swing through Seattle. Release date says 2/27/04, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Now I just need Bubba Ho-Tep on DVD.

Oh yeah, now's as good a time as any to add: I bought the first season of "Jeremiah" on DVD, JMS' post-apocalyptic series that's been running on Showtime. I'd seen many of the episodes before, but had to download them because I didn't get Showtime. Liz and I have watched the first three. It's really amazing stuff - why can't normal TV be this thought-provoking? Instead, we get "My Big Fat Fiancee" and "Who Wants to Bone a Millionaire" and "When Animals Attack 6!" It's really pathetic that the later can command millions in advertising dollars while hardly anyone has heard of "Jeremiah."

No comments: