Saturday, January 10, 2004

Fourth Post-Trip Blog: Christmas

My feelings on Christmas are pretty bipolar. On one hand, I really enjoy being with friends and family, and I enjoy giving (and receiving, of course) presents. On the other hand, I hate the pressure to see everyone and do things for everyone else. It is my firm belief that everyone feels this pressure to see all their friends and family, and therefore no one has a good time, except for those who have only one friend. And I just feel kind of sad for those people.

It gets worse when you're traveling, because you only have a limited amount of time in which to work. It gets even worse when sickness cuts into that time. I spent the first part of Christmas day at my parents, when I picked at my food and then slept for two hours. Then, I went to Liz's sister's house, where I tried not to do the same thing.

I can't say I had a bad time, because I didn't, but the entire experience left me feeling wiped out in a way that not even work can manage. At least at work you have weekends, during which you can recharge and forget about work (well, admittedly, when you work with comic books and games all day, which also happens to be your hobby, sometimes those can get pretty sickening on the weekends, too).

No comments: