Thursday, April 08, 2004

More On Writing

My friend Terry from my Tulsa writer's group sent me a great story he's trying to clean up for a contest. It's always inspiring to read other people's stories as they are "in progress," because it gives me a good glimpse into other people's writing processes, and it's kind of like a support network for people who are all on the same path to trying to get their work published, or at least in a few contests. Like when I see Terry trying to clean up his story, I take out one of mine and tinker on it a bit for submission to a new literary magazine, and when I'll tell him that, it'll inspire him to submit, and so on. I miss that kind of interaction for a writer's group; I tried to start one at the office, but circumstances intervened and nothing ever became of it. There are people at work with the makings of great writers, they just need a little shove in the right direction.

No comments: