Saturday, March 20, 2004

Western Mood

We finally sat down and spectated upon Costner's Open Range this evening. Highly recommended; the slow pacing only gave the final gunfight - and it was a hell of a gunfight - even more power. When movies are high-octane, over-the-top violence, it's good to note that good direction and storytelling can make one person's death all the more powerful, as it doesn't desensitize the audience early on in the film, instead slowly introducing them to the world and making them feel each bullet as it tears flesh.

I don't know why, but I'm in the mood to watch more Westerns. Once Upon a Time in the West and High Noon were both blind buys I haven't watched yet, so I'll probably veg to one or both tomorrow morning. Angela and John are coming over tomorrow night, so we should have a good time goofing off and eating dinner. I'm hoping we can try out Scene It, the DVD trivia game I picked up recently.

No comments: