Saturday, March 27, 2004

One Memory Erase, Please

Kytte loaned me Terminator 3, so I finally got to see the last installment in the Terminator series. I wish to God I could purge it from my mind. The first two Terminator films were good-to-great SF, tackling the not-unimportant debate of free will and determinism. One of the messages in both those films was the oft-quoted: "the future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

Contrast that with ten minutes into T3 (and it's asinine ending), where Governor Ahh-nold says "Judgment Day is inevitable."

So the entire point of the first two films was sacrificed for a lot of heartless special effects and mind-numbing action sequences. In fact, those effects and sequences existed to negate the point of the first two films.

Blah.

No comments: