Sunday, March 07, 2004

More On Coinage

You can tell I have a full and exciting life when I get up in the morning and attempt to identify 1700-year-old coins.

I'm pretty sure one of my coins is very similar, if not identical to, this one. I can make out the "DN" and "EODO" on the left obverse, and the "MVLT" on the back, and its definitely has the same laurel-leaf on the reverse. My coin still has some dirt crusted on it (although that should change after another month or two in the oil) and the definition is better. Incidentally, if you ever find yourself in posession of a Roman, Greek, Byzantine, or Celtic coin and you need to identify it, the site I've been using, Wildwind.com, is outstanding. Their database is fully searchable (even for partial and reverse inscriptions) and is pretty extensive, with pictures for almost every coin.

No comments: