Saturday, March 20, 2004

Crimson Skies

I finally loaded Crimson Skies into my new X-Box and gave it a serious spin. The game seems pathetically easy and a lot more arcade-combat style than air-sim combat style, but it looks great (the X-Box's High Def capabilities are amazing!) and it's a reasonable amount of fun.

The rest of my Saturday morning has been divided between a pretty ugly situation back in Tulsa and a pretty ugly situation among my company's online community. As usual (among the later - the former isn't a topic for public discussion), negativity, emotion, and sometimes out-and-out hatred reign. If there's one part of my job I absolutely hate, it's dealing with gamer geeks (like myself). Because, like myself, they are often negative in their responses, knee-jerk in their responses, and always convinced that they are right.

If there's one thing my job has done, it's taught me to re-examine my ways of looking at the entire world, and these folks in particular. I learned this somewhat at DHS, and I think it's an extremely valuable lesson - don't leap to judgments, don't assume the worst, and show a little freakin' empathy. I know that's difficult for a lot of people these days - hell, there are people in my office who would probably shrivel and die if I suggested this course of action to them - but it's really the only way to get along. Otherwise, you get mired in that negativity and eventually it eats you until there's nothing left. And that's not cool.

No comments: