Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Family Matters

I'm not sure what the hell is wrong with Blogger and their tables. I don't know enough about CSS to fix this annoying problem. Sorry about the choppy read these days.

My mom emailed me this morning with a piece of really cool information. One of my relatives has been tracking our family through Syria and Lebanon, and he made a pretty cool discovery: we can trace our ancestry back through the Ghassanid tribes in early Arabia. Like, third of forth century CE Arabia. The Ghassanids were a Christian tribe that swore fealty to Byzantium after migrating up to the Syria-Lebanon-Palestine area. They even had their own kingdom, until the Arabs bought off their soldiers and kicked their asses in the 8th century.

Pretty cool stuff though! Perhaps there's a story or two in there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. It's amazing what you can find when you trace familiar history. One of my aunts traced my father's side of the family to William the Conquerer.

-Angela