Friday, June 11, 2004

A Matter of Time

I haven't been updating with nearly as much frequency lately, mainly because when I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is type more HTML into a content management system. So I apologize for the sporadic updates; unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. To say my new job is not what I thought it would be is an understatement, and I'm becoming increasingly jaded with a lot of the inter-office bullshit that's been going on around me. It's nothing I haven't seen before (and certainly better than other litter boxes I've experienced), but it reminds me that my company is still very much a family company, and those "on the outside" - or "from the outside" - are basically there to toil so that others can have fun. The honeymoon, as they say, is over.

Liz's parents are in town, and we're about to take off for a couple of days on the Olympic peninsula. We don't really have much of a plan other than that; for some reason we're taking the ferry to Bremerton, which seems like a waste of money, but I guess the novelty of riding a ferry is important to some people. From there, we're basically going to circumnavigate the peninsula. Hopefully we'll be back on Saturday night, but I'm not counting on it.

Wednesday I went over to Wolfgang's for a little gaming; had a great time, and got to meet some cool people and eat a great meal. I'm happy to find people to hang out with who aren't at my office; not to get back to work again, but one of the problems with hanging out with your co-workers all the time is that inevitably it ends up like a big college dorm, where everyone hangs out all the time, and personalities start to interfere, and eventually people get pissed off at each other, blah blah blah. I'm used to keeping my work life and my personal life on two opposite sides of the gymnasium, so the idea that I'm working with cool people is still kind of novel. Besides, any adults, and I do mean any, will begin to get on each other's nerves if they stay within close proximity for any length of time.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, I have a lot that I'm trying to squeeze into a little with zero time.

No comments: