Thursday, June 17, 2004

Catching Up

After work I fought traffic into Seattle to pick up Travis. We decided it's been six years since we last saw each other, and that we've known each other for over half our lives. Both statistics are kind of sobering, but it's a good kind of friendship that you can pick up for four hours after six years and just keep right on trucking.

We hit the comic book store so I could catch up, and hit Cedars, the Indian restaurant that everyone absolutely loves. I have to stick with boring dishes though; I'd kill for a good Lebanese restaurant here, I'm going to have to gorge myself at Halim and Mimi's back in Tulsa when I go. We hit Gas Works for the view, and then it got dark so we came back to the apartment for chatting. Then, before it started, I had to drive him back.

I found out that the cool parts of my old high school in Normal have been destroyed - the auditorium, band area, and the cool classrooms in that part of the building - and a parking lot is in their place. The comic shop downtown is closed now. The pizza joint we used to eat at all the time is gone. The high school is now some kind of middle school, and they built a new high school that has no windows on the east side of town. It was designed by a prison architect. For some reason, none of that surprises me, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad.

I'm exhausted, and I can tell because my writing is ceasing to make sense. Rather than make an ass of myself further, I'll turn in.

No comments: