Sunday, November 30, 2003

Lynch Mob

Well, Crabby flew out at 6:20 AM this morning, which meant that we got up at 4:15 to leave the house at 4:30 to get him to Sea-Tac at 5:00. Which meant that I went back to bed for some more good sleep. Now, it's really late and I don't want to get up early tomorrow for work. Damn.

As many of you know, I like director David Lynch quite a bit. I found this article on Lynchlant.net, a Lynch fan / analysis site. The article deals with Rabbits, a series that runs on DL's own website, but it has some interesting analysis of Lynch's other works by proxy. I don't agree with a lot of what the critic says, including the over-psychoanalytic, Freudian look at Lynch's use of animals, but this part stuck out for me:

"Mysteries are of course a quintessential theme that enables him to evade narrative resolution and concentrate on mood and atmosphere."

I don't know that I agree with this statement, either, but it's certainly something to think about. I don't know that Lynch evades narrative resolution, but I would certainly say that Lynch focuses less on narrative than mood and atmosphere, and the underlying theme of the films (my thesis is that the underlying themes of almost all of Lynch's films are normal people put into extraordinary circumstances).

In other news, I picked up Neverwhere again after taking a break to read Snow Crash. I like Neverwhere far less than I liked American Gods, and it has a certain "first novel" feel to it. My plan is to finish it and then try Love in the Time of Cholera again, or hit The Once and Future King.

Oh yeah: I came up six cards short of my Heresy set, and thanks to the trading site I mentioned before, I should complete my collection by next week! Woot! Today, I'm going to play in a Game of Thrones tournament. I'll have to bug Kytte about entering results from the last tournament, because my standings haven't changed and that is unacceptable.

Speaking of Game of Thrones, Liz is on the second book in the series. And she likes them. I'm going to try to get her to read James Morrow's "God" trilogy next.

One last thing of note: I just saw the half-page Opus cartoon in the Sunday paper. I'm so glad to see Berke Breathed back doing what he should be doing. Now, if I can just find a perfect MP3 of the songs from Billy and the Boingers Bootleg.

No comments: