Sunday, February 22, 2004

Recommended Reading

A reader sent me a link to this essay by Paul Graham, titled "What You Can't Say." As the flavor text explains, "this essay is about heresy: how to think forbidden thoughts, and what to do with them." It touches somewhat on political correctness, but also deals with politically-charged language, such as Bush's use of the term "activist judges" I wrote about a couple of days ago. Graham has a good collection of other essays on his site (I've only had a chance to read through a couple of them), most about the effects the Internet has on various means of personal interaction and communication. Which makes a great compliment to Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.

Today I've got a Game of Thrones tournament, this one across the water, so I can pick up my comics. I think I'm going to subscribe to "100 Bullets" - I read the first two collections of that comic, and I thought it would be pretty lame - just typical crime drama, not really what I'm interested in when reading comics. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised - "Bullets" deals with moral issues in an intelligent way, and the complexity reminds me of "From Hell" more than pulpy crime stuffs. Apparently the writer and artist are also doing a spin on "Batman" at the moment, which I'm gonna pick up as well. I haven't finished reading last week's haul, so I guess I'd better get working today. Work. Heh.

No comments: