Saturday, February 21, 2004

Get Lost

Tonight Liz and I met Angela and John to see The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera, a great send-up of 50s and early 60s sci-fi / horror flicks. The dialogue was predictably crummy, the sets were obviously recycled, and the skeleton - you've got to see it to believe it. Seriously, for a group of no-name writers, directors, actors, and producers this was a pretty slick piece of filmmaking. It avoided being a one-joke premise by doing various spoofs of specific movie moments (watch for a great Them! rip-off) while sticking to the general lampooning of the genre, but in a pretty clever way. It dragged at a few parts in the middle, but was a pretty decent slice of cinema and worth an evening out.

Speaking of, after the movie (in Seattle's University District) we stopped by a pub and had a few drinks. We chickened out pretty early - I'm still getting over the whole jetlag thing - and as we were walking back, a fucking fratboy lobbed a water balloon from a car and hit Liz in the leg. She's got a nice big welt and a pair of wet jeans, and the fratboys are damn lucky they were in a car because I was running after them ready to shove my keys into their ears to teach them a lesson in being polite. Long story short, I like the comfort of my living room couch to watch movies on my brand-new, uber-cool 50" LCD TV in DTS sound, and I don't have to deal with balloon-lobbing morons that I end up wanting to kill.

Which is my way of saying, culture on suburbia's couch is fine by me. Now if only they delivered rental movies to my door on demand.

You know what's funny? Nothing like that ever happened to me in New York. It took a liberal, feel-good city like Seattle to be assaulted by an unknown college frat-fuck.

No comments: