Tuesday, July 12, 2005

What's Up Doc?

So last week I got back from Origins, and my in-laws came into town, so I had to squeeze a week's worth of work into three days. Last weekend was relaxing at least - I crashed around 9 PM on Friday and slept until about 9 AM on Saturday before tackling some Grand Theft Auto. The rest of the weekend was spent intermittantly with Liz, cleaning or arranging the house, or shooting gangstas.

Yesterday was an Alliterates meeting which I thought I was going to have to miss, but I managed to haul ass down to Renton about 7:00. This would have been an easier task but we still don't have our car back. Story goes like this: State Farm didn't want to pay to fix our speedometer/odometer, because it wasn't immediately obvious the break wasn't a part of the theft. I explained that we weren't the kind of people who would let our speedometer break and not do anything about it, and they said "oh no, it's not that - it might have been ready to break and simply done so after the theft." So their theory was that sometime in the half-tank of gas between when my car was stolen and after it was recovered, the speedometer, which was on the verge of breaking, went kablooie. On a 2003 car with 40,000 miles on it. Not that the speedometer breaking had anything to do with the fact that Mr. Duane Bates of Sea-Tac ripped (literally) my stereo out of my car and shittily installed his own stereo.

So asshole insurance company considered the matter closed and made us give up our rental. But, if we wanted to try to prove the speedometer was part of the theft, we could take the car to a Mitsubishi dealership and have them start to work on it.

That was a week and three hundred dollars ago. Yesterday we got a call: it was most definately related to the theft. Congrats, asshats, you wasted your own damn money and my damn time because you wouldn't cough up initially to fix the speedometer, which you will now fix, in addition to the hundreds of dollars it took to examine what was wrong with the speedometer, in addition to the rental car I should have been driving the last week.

No comments: