Monday, April 25, 2005

Light @ End of Tunnel = Oncoming Train

So as you might have surmised, I spent a lot of time on Saturday grouting the tile we've laid. Since I had no idea how to do it and no experienced grouters around to help, it was a learning experience, and there was a bit of a learning curve involved. The good news is, we didn't screw anything up too badly, and now our kitchen and entryway are grouted and look unbelievably good. That helps, because our fridge and stove are still in the living room so its one step closer to being able to move them back where they belong.

Speaking of moving, that's the other thing that's been going on. We've got an unbelievable amount of dishes, and its been taking forever to pack them up all safe and sound for their 8-mile journey up the road. This week is pretty much going to be all moving, all the time. I can't say I'm happy about that, but time is starting to run short.

Unfortunately, I discovered the greatness that is Rome: Total War, or should I say Rome: Total Timewaster. Its got enough fiddlybits that it plays well to my OCD, and the battle system is (thankfully) devoid of Starcraft-like battlefield building and "rushes." Its also re-ignited my interest in the Roman empire - if anyone can suggest a good book, fiction or not, set in the Roman empire, I'd read it.

2 comments:

Artillery MKV said...

I'd recommend any of David Drake's alternative histories of Rome. Well grounded in actual history with sci-fi stuff thrown in. Ranks of Bronze.

There's a short story about an alien that gets captured to fight in the arena. Turns out to be a total killing machine, and the hunters have to hunt it down before it gets to Rome and kills most everyone. Goodstuff!

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend Pompeii, by Robert Harris. It's not really about the legions, but the explanation of Roman customs and tech is waaaay cool.

-Wolfgang