Sunday, February 13, 2005

A Night At The Opera

Today Liz and I took in the Fifth Avenue Theater production of Singin' In The Rain. Aside from a couple of minor technical glitches (and hey, I can forgive that, it was their first performance), it was an amazing production. I'm familiar with the movie, of course, but this stage musical seems to be unique in that it was based on a movie, and not vice-versa. Therefore, all the worry of "will they get this part right?" is turned around, and instead you wonder how they could possibly do things like the "Make 'Em Laugh" sequence.

5th Avenue pulled it off in amazing fashion, wall-flips and all. I've gotta say, it was one of the best times I've had at the theater in a long time. Not that I go to live theater all that often, but damn this was a great show. My Seattle-based readers might want to check it out.

No comments: