Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Life Imitates Art

I had a Swingers experience this morning.

Liz had to drive out to one of her company's outlying branch offices, so she was out the door at 6:45. I had to be at work at 9 and spent too much time dicking around with my old DOS programs to walk, so I caught the bus.

Typically I don't really look at the people on the bus when I'm sitting down, I just sit in the front, so I'm facing the opposite windows. There was an empty space, so I sat down.

After I settle in, I notice the other people around me. Across from me was a really - well, a really smoking hot girl. The bus that runs in front of my apartment goes all the way to the University District, so it's not unusual to see college students on the bus. I'm guessing she was a UW student, maybe a freshman or a sophomore.

I notice, but don't really do anything. I settle back, listening to The Offspring and enjoying the ride to work.

I happen to glance over, and she's looking right at me. She smiles. I smile back. I think, "hey, cool, she smiled at me, that's nice. Most people just scowl."

A minute later, I look again. Again, she's looking at me. She beams me a huge smile and kind of mouths "hi." I look down - I left my wedding ring on the counter from doing dishes. I admit, at this point, I'm starting to think, "hey, she thinks I look good, maybe it's the long wind-blown hair, or maybe my time at the gym hasn't been a complete waste after all." I nod back and mouth "hi." I'm still listening to my music, oblivious of all sounds around me.

I keep looking at her, occasionally making eye contact. At one point, she even waves, and I wave back a bit. My self-esteem has received a nice little boost; this young hottie thinks I'm good looking!

The bus rolls into the Bellevue Transit Center. I stand to get off, she stays. I wonder if maybe she'll try to slip me her digits or whatever the kids call it these days. I look at her one last time, and she's still smiling and waving - but looking at where I was sitting. I think, "hey, I'm right in front of you now!"

Then, I look behind me. And see the three-year-old kid in the seat next to mine that I missed because I was sitting sideways.

And the three-year-old kid is smiling and waving back at her.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I soooo feel your pain Jason... ouch! Its a bad sign when kids start to get better action than you.

Anonymous said...

Funny story!

The moral of this story is that hot chicks dig kids, puppies, and kittins.