Sunday, March 13, 2005

House Work

The plan was to get up early, get our shopping done, and hit the house hard yesterday. The getting up early part, we accomplished. The shopping, for some reason, was like this negative-zone black hole where time twisted and folded in on itself, and we didn't finish until 1 PM (and I don't even want to think about how much it cost, either. Glad I've got a bonus coming).

Part of what we purchased was a cheap gas mower, because the lawn was too damn bushy for the pushmower I bought. So I put that together, and cleared the last of the tree branches out of the front yard, and then hacked down this awful-looking holly bush. Now, I've got a bunch of holly branches and twigs to use as firewood. Woohoo! Then I mowed. I pretty much had to cover the lawn twice because the grass was so high, but when I was done, I had one of those "realization" moments where I went holy shit, this is my house now. And the lawn is so small, the mowing took about a half-hour; not too shabby.

Liz meanwhile was inside prepping two more rooms for painting; the pink room's trim, and the purple room's floor. Meanwhile, I installed the new uber-security locks on our doors, which I have to admit Seth is correct regarding: those are probably much better investments in home security than a shotgun. Then, we painted, priming the purple room and doing the first coat of paint in the (no longer) pink room. Pink will need one more coat, but when we were done, it looked great. We made a solid plan for the rest of the house's paint scheme and, for the first time, it seems like we're going to be able to accopmlish a lot of our goals (most of them before we move in, too.)

It's a really nice feeling.

No comments: