Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kirkland Annexation, Part Four

Tomorrow night is the information meeting on annexation for Kirkland that I plan to attend, and although I said I wasn't going to form any more opinions until I went to that meeting, one of the comments in my previous post certainly gave me some food for thought.

Kirkland Yuppie-ized? You obviously have only been here for 5 years. I've lived in South Kirkland for the last 15 years and have come to play at the parks for another 5-7 before that. Kirkland has been a Yuppie town for at least 20 years or more! What's the problem with that? All the people that are fond of Kirkland clearly were attracted to the area for what it is. If you don't like Yuppie, Kirkland is simply not for you.


That is entirely a fair point, and it also underscores what I was saying earlier about the Save Kirkland campaign - if Kirkland is already Yuppie-ized, then keeping the "small town feel" is a strawman argument. Personally I have no problems with being a Yuppie - I mean, I kind of am one anyway.

Now, regarding annexation. The PAA knows what type of community Kirkland is as well. That being said, if you want to be incorporated, quit slamming that Kirkland is protecting it's Yuppiness if you want to be a part of it ultimately.
As a home owner I dare say the unincorporated folks beware of the Kirkland City Government's meddeling. It's quite unbelieveable. Don't be fooled by better services. You'll be fee'd all the way to the treasury. And don't touch a tree on your personal property. Especially the big ones that will fall on your home during the next wind storm.
Want to remodel? Shameless revenue producing permits/fees...
Finally- I agree with some that live in the PAA that logistically, they use and live closer to Kenmore/Bothell than Kirkland. Kirkland annexing these areas doesn't geographically make sense to me.
Hoping for a vote.


OK, this is the kind of information I'm looking for. Fees for remodeling. Not being able to dig up trees. That's not what I'm looking for at all. Would my selfish desire to have a Kirkland address raise my property value enough to make that worth it? It's hard to tell - frankly, I'm basing that assessment on a hunch.

It'll be an interesting meeting tomorrow night.

No comments: