Saturday, October 02, 2004

A Break From Politics

You can't talk about politics all the time, eh?

Tonight Liz and I watched The Last Samurai. I admit, when this movie came out, I put off seeing it, because I thought it was going to be a lame Tom Cruise engine. Cruise is one of those actors that, when you see him in a movie, you think, "hey, that's Tom Cruise!" because he's got all these signature mannerisms - ways of talking, idiosyncacies, whatever - that you ignore the character and focus on the actor. Robin Williams is also guilty of this. And because of that, I generally don't care to watch movies with those actors in them.

But Cruise did a damn great job here. He wasn't Cruising it up at all, and the story and direction was good enough to create a really moving film.

That's a pretty lame review, especially considering I haven't written about movies in a long time, but it's about all I've got. I'm going to crash into bed in about five, four, three, two..

No comments: