Saturday, February 28, 2004

I Should Know Better

Back in college, I used to debate on message boards with some frequency. Specifically, I went to Michael Moore's forum because it was largely unmoderated, and it attracted a wide variety of opinionated people.

In the last three years, I've made it a rule to stay away from online discussion forums. Sure, I still hang out on the WizKids message boards, but as a moderator instead of a debating member. And I frequent my DVD forum on a daily basis, but more for news and movie talk I can't get anywhere else.

My pal Andy contacted me and told me to check out a forum he was trying to start with some friends. So I dusted out the old sparring gloves and decided to go a few rounds. And then I remembered why I quit in the first place. Debating with people online will never end well. Very rarely will someone debate in a logical manner, and most of the time it degenerates into name-calling and worthless semantic arguments. I began on Andy's forum as best I could, but it wasn't long before what I thought would happen, happened. So again, I reiterate my pledge to stay the hell away from places like that. The thing is, everyone wants to talk and no one wants to listen. But, I find that's true in many things.

In other news, I think I'm going to begin looking for a Buddhist study group again. I need something to combat the stress at work; everyone has been on edge lately, and sometimes it's almost palpable.

No comments: