Friday, December 05, 2008

Reaffirmation

Tonight one of my coworkers asked me if, because of being married at such a young age, I regretted missing the ability to date people in my 20s. After a moment of reflection, I answered quite honestly that I didn't.

It's not that the romanticized notion of being a bachelor doesn't appeal to me, but the fact of the matter is that I see my friends and coworkers struggling with their own relationships, trying to make them work and trying to overcome all the crazy little dramas and baggage we all bring into our interactions with other people, and I can't help but think how glad I am to not have to deal with that anymore. At least in the same way they are.

It's funny; at the end of the day, we are all good and well-meaning people who do the best we can with what we're handed, whatever the context of that might be. And so many of us choose to dwell on what we don't have or the idealized version of what we think we need or want that we simply forget to stop and enjoy where we are.

So if you're reading this, stop and take a moment to enjoy where you are. Because it's a great place, in its own way. Really.

2 comments:

Roger Whitson said...

Great post Jason. As one who dealt with many of those dramas you talk about, I can admit that I have envied your relationship with Elizabeth, but I also have to say that I wouldn't have lived my life in any other way.

Angela Teater said...

I didn't think it was possible for me to feel any more grateful to have John in my life, but your post reminds me of how lucky I am to have him. Thanks.