Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Movie: The Stepford Wives

The original is one of my favorite horror-comedies, so I was pretty reluctant to see the remake. There's just something about the subtle mix of zeitgeist and twisted thinking in the 1975 version that makes it timeless, and by the end of the movie you realize that the main character has ignored every opportunity for escape and has been doomed to her fate.

The remake is not subtle. It's about as un-subtle as a brick to the back of your head. For the first hour or so, it plays like a farcical version of the first Stepford Wives. Then, it goes into new territory for the wrap-up - not a bad choice overall, but I still felt like the writers sat around saying, "you know what, I don't think people get it, let's make it more obvious!"

So rather than a classic of subtle and timely horror, we're left with a minor thriller. It still has its moments, but I wanted better.

No comments: